WHEREAS, the United States Constitution mandates that the nation undertake a census of population every ten years; and
WHEREAS, the Census requires years of planning and requires more than 500,000 temporary workers; and
WHEREAS, it is vitally important that every household completes a Census form; and
WHEREAS, the Census is used to apportion seats in the United States House of Representatives; and
WHEREAS, the State of Missouri faces the possible loss of a seat in the United States House of Representatives based on Missouri’s population counts relative to those of all other states; and
WHEREAS, federal funds are vital to Missourians and distributed based on population counts collected during the Census; and
WHEREAS, the United States Census Bureau encourages all states to form a Complete Count Committee with the goals of heightening awareness about the 2010 Census and encouraging the populace to participate in the United States Census of Population; and
WHEREAS, a Complete Count Committee is comprised of individuals, including the state demographer, who work together to develop outreach plans to encourage participation in the census to make sure all persons are counted; and
WHEREAS, the State of Missouri is committed to ensuring Missouri has an accurate count of its citizens during the 2010 Census.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, JEREMIAH W. (JAY) NIXON, GOVERNOR OF THE STATE OF MISSOURI, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the State of Missouri, do hereby order the establishment of a Complete Count Committee.
I hereby charge the Committee with heightening Missouri’s awareness of the 2010 Census, encouraging participation in the process, developing targeted community outreach and working to ensure that every resident is counted:
1. The Committee will be chaired by the Commissioner of Administration.
2. No more than 30 additional members will be appointed by the Governor. Additional appointments will represent Missouri’s diverse population. Membership on the committee will be bipartisan and representative of the state. The State Demographer shall be one of the members.
3. The Governor will, whenever possible, appoint members who have interaction with Complete Count Committees that have been, or will be, established at the local or sub-state level.
4. The Committee shall begin work on an action plan soon after its formation that will identify specific areas or groups within Missouri, which are isolated geographically, linguistically, racially, culturally, or otherwise, that may be hard to enumerate. The plan also should identify strategies to overcome recognized barriers; develop campaigns targeted toward the identified areas or groups, which will build awareness of Census 2010; and encourage cooperation with enumerators.
5. The chair, in consultation with the Governor, will decide if the committee will have subcommittees. The purpose of such subcommittees will be to help the committee better achieve its mission on a particular geographic region or group of citizens within the State of Missouri.
6. The Committee members shall not be compensated for their services other than reimbursement of costs directly associated with the execution of their duties, subject to appropriation.
7. The Committee is authorized to submit requests for appropriations through the Commissioner of Administration necessary to carry out its charge.
8. The Committee shall fulfill this charge in the most cost-effective manner possible.
9. Staff support will be provided by the Office of Administration.
10. The Committee shall meet at least quarterly until March 31, 2010, and as often as is required thereafter to complete this charge.
11. The Committee shall provide quarterly reports to the Governor on its activities beginning March 30, 2009.
12. Wherever possible, the Committee should coordinate its efforts with those of the United States Bureau of the Census and Complete Count Committees established at the local or sub-state level.
13. The Committee shall submit a final report to the Governor summarizing its activities and suggesting improvements to Missouri’s Complete Count Committee for Census 2020.
14. Executive Order 08-34 is hereby superseded and replaced by this Executive Order.
The Committee will complete its work and submit its final report by August 1, 2010.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused to be affixed the Great Seal of the State of Missouri, in the City of Jefferson, on this 27th day of January, 2009.